Rental Venue FAQs
Yes, we have several outdoor rental venues in the H.O. Smith Botanic Gardens. Our primary rental season is from May 16 through September 30 due to the prevalence of strong winds before and after these dates. The rental rates are lower during April, the first half of May, and October because the weather is frequently chilly and wet during these transitional months. We do not rent garden venues from November through March.
Rental clients may not host events that are open to the public. We rent venues solely for invitation-only events such as wedding ceremonies, graduation gatherings, retirement dinners, family reunions, departmental or office functions, and academic or business conference receptions. The Arboretum does not rent venues for wedding receptions and rehearsal dinners.
No, there are no indoor facilities for rent. We, therefore, strongly recommend that you procure an alternate indoor site in case inclement weather threatens your comfort or safety in the gardens.
- Visitor parking is available in the Lewis Katz Building lot, just across Bigler Road from the old Arboretum lot.
- To park in the Katz lot, Arboretum visitors who do not hold a Penn State parking permit that is valid in an Orange lot must pay a fee of $1/hour. Payment may be made via the pay station in the Katz Building lot via credit card, or via the ParkMobile app, which is also available for use in many other parking lots on campus. Visitors may download the ParkMobile app or visit ParkMobile’s Penn State site to learn more. Parking fees apply 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Visitors will be able to purchase parking for a maximum of two hours during weekdays when Penn State classes are in session during the fall and spring semesters. On weekdays during the summer and winter breaks, visitors will be able to extend their length of stay. On Saturdays and Sundays, all-day parking will be available at the rate of $8.
- For those Penn State employees whose parking permit is not valid in Orange lots, the Katz lot may be used after 4:00 p.m. on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
- Two ADA-accessible parking spots remain available near the Overlook Pavilion.
- Another option on any day is to pay $1/hour to park in the East Parking Deck on Bigler Road.
- Rental clients may pay in advance for their guests to park in the Lewis Katz lot by contacting the University’s parking office at 814-863-5684.
- All campus visitor parking information, including how to obtain daily, evening, overnight, weekend, and event parking permits, is available at https://transportation.psu.edu/visitors.
- If your event will occur on a weekday, you can consider hiring a shuttle to transport your guests.
- Visitors must park large vehicles such as motor coaches or school buses at the Porter North parking lot on Porter Road near Beaver Stadium. Rental clients may request permission to park limousines, buses, or trolleys in the Lewis Katz lot for the duration of the rental event by contacting the University’s parking office at 814-863-5684.
We rent venues for wedding ceremonies, but do not rent venues for wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, wedding-related cocktail hours, or any other event affiliated with weddings.
In general, we recommend that you reserve a venue a year in advance. For Saturdays in June, which is the most in-demand time, it is best to reserve a venue one-and-a-half to two years in advance. Regardless, you should always check with the event and marketing coordinator because there may be an alternative venue or time that would suit your need.
You may bring your wedding party to the gardens for an informal walk-through prior to the day of the ceremony but if an Arboretum event, tour, or rental event is occurring in the venue when you visit the gardens, you would not be able to enter the venue until that event ends. You should contact the event and marketing coordinator well in advance to ask whether any other activity has been scheduled.
If the rental venue itself is not available for a walk-through, you can meet your wedding party at another location in the gardens to discuss the itinerary and staging of your ceremony.
Contact the event and marketing coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss the scope and type of event you wish to host and to ask about venue availability. You may also complete and submit the Rental Inquiry Form.
If the venue is available, the coordinator will send you a short form to complete. The form provides contact information for the person who will be signing the rental agreement and describes your event. The event coordinator will use this information to create your rental agreement.
You will have two weeks in which to review, sign, and return the agreement to the coordinator, along with one-half of the rental fee which serves as a non-refundable deposit.
There are three categories of event and nine rental venues. Pricing depends on the venue, date, time, and type of event. Please refer to the first page of the Rental Fee Schedule.
Amenities include restrooms, drinking fountains, and (at the Overlook Pavilion only) a covered event terrace and portico. The Arboretum cannot provide furnishings or tents (other than the canopy at the Overlook Pavilion), but if garden furniture is present in the rental venue, you may use it for your event.
No, you must hire a professional rental company to provide furniture. Several companies in the State College area that rent tents and other event furnishings may be found online by searching for rental companies in State College PA and surrounding areas, such as “wedding and party rentals state college pa” and “wedding and party rentals mill hall pa.”
In general, you can bring free-standing props such as pillars, podiums, and arbors, as well as floral containers and planters, but you may not use adhesives or otherwise attach decorations to an Arboretum building, pillar, pavement, or plant. You are responsible for gathering and removing all event-related materials. It is a good idea to ask the event and marketing coordinator specific questions in the early stages of planning your event.
The side curtains are part of the décor only, and clients may not adjust or zip them, even partially, due to the risk of creating a “sail effect” that would compromise the overhead canopy and cause the curtains to rip or tear loose.
No, the Arboretum does not provide catering services.
You may only serve alcohol if the type of event you are hosting is permitted by the Arboretum (such as a business or conference gathering), and if you obtain written permission from the Arboretum and University officials via the procedure described at http://guru.psu.edu/policies/Ad18.html. Alcohol may not be served in the gardens in conjunction with weddings or wedding receptions.
Yes, but the volume of the music must comply with local ordinances which are provided to you in the rental agreement.
Only one rental event is scheduled at any given time, but there may be more than one rental event occurring on the same day. There may be educational activities or tours occurring in other parts of the gardens or on Arboretum land outside of the gardens during rental events.
Yes. Either the event and marketing coordinator or another staff person attends each rental event to address any facility-related questions that arise and to alert the public that a private event is under way in the rental venue.
H.O. Smith Botanic Gardens
The Arboretum at Penn State
Corner of Park Avenue and Bigler Road
University Park PA 16802
Yes. If you are interested in renting a venue on a Saturday afternoon in the fall, you should check the Nittany Lion football schedule first because accessibility to the gardens is affected by one-way traffic patterns before and after home games due to the proximity of Beaver Stadium. You could also contact University Information at 814-865-4700 to ask about public events that might be occurring in the vicinity of the Arboretum on a given day.
You must notify the event coordinator at the Arboretum about your intent to cancel the reservation. In addition to the initial, non-refundable deposit (50% of the rental fee) that is paid upon signing the rental agreement, you would pay the following amounts, depending on when you gave notice:
*Cancellations three (3) months or more in advance of the scheduled date:
No additional charge will be imposed.
*Cancellations from one (1) to three (3) months in advance of the scheduled date: 20% of the total rental fee
*Cancellations between fifteen (15) days and one (1) month in advance of the scheduled date: 40% of the rental fee
*Cancellations between fourteen (14) days or less in advance of the scheduled date: 50% of the rental fee